Saturday, November 13, 2010

Where are we now...

It's been a while since my last post so I here's a brief overview of what's been going on around here the last six months. The biggest project of late has been siding the house. It's taken a while to get the siding done since I've only been working on it for about 1-2 days per week (and some weeks not at all). We started siding in June and started in the back. A friend from church, Nathan, helped me complete the back of the house (which took the entire summer).

Eventually we got around the house to the front. Also, you may notice that I tore off the old porch overhang and this picture shows the posts for the new porch roof.

Porch roof...

Finishing the side with Lyle and John...
Now to the front...and the porch roof is further along.
The siding is 95% complete
Porch deck

Monday, February 15, 2010

It's all coming together!

The words, "You'll be moving in before you know it," now actually seem true. We're putting the final touches on the bathroom (downstairs) and the kitchen, as well as refinishing the floors.

Bathroom floor


Kitchen with sanded floors

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Let the Painting Begin!

The drywall finishing has been completed and we're ready to paint. It's been a long time coming, and we're so excited to be at this stage. Once we paint we can refinish the floors and then...we can move in!!

(Living Room)


(Kitchen w/ primer coat)

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Before & After: Exterior

As I mentioned earlier, we decided to put on an addition. Originally we were going to only do a one-story addition, but decided to make it a two-story addition. We're hoping that the house will look like it was built this way.

We have removed all the siding and old windows. We have installed new windows and a moisture barrier. We'll install the siding when the weather warms.

"We built this city on sheetrock 'n roll"

So we've started sheetrocking the place! This is a huge step and we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. After we rewired the house and insulated the exterior walls we decided to sheetrock over the old plaster walls rather than patch all the holes and cracks. My next post will be a before and after look at the house so far. For now, enjoy the sheetrock pics.

I've had tons of great help. One day I came over after lunch and the guys from the church had nearly finished one whole room. We are truly blessed with tremendous servants.

Notice the new floor in the kitchen as well!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock

So we're putting on an addition and therefore we needed to extend the foundation of the house. If you remember that concrete slab we removed that's the same place where the new foundation now stands. We've had tons of help with this stage of the addition. The first step of course was digging for the footer.

Then we prepped the ground to pour the footer. In the month of October we had so much rain that the pour was pushed back for a couple weeks. At one point the entire footer was filled with so much water that I used a wet/dry vac with a make-shift filter to suck out all the mud water. I packed in gravel and put in rebar to prepare for the pour.

Next we poured the footer. The truck was too tall for the power line so we "safely" propped it up with a 14' 2x6. The truck got as close as possible and started pouring.

Maurice is putting the finishing touches on the footer.
After the footer dried, Maurice laid the block for the foundation.
After the block was laid, we dug out for the crawl space. And by "we" I mean, Devin and Maurice (two high schools guy from the church).
Now we're ready to start framing!

Monday, November 2, 2009

Making Progress

Thanks to some helping hands we got quite a bit done this past weekend. We are nearing the end of the demolition phase - we've extracted nearly all of the ductwork in the house and have removed the walls that are being moved. We have also torn out a substantial amount of the original knob & tube wiring, although there is still a good deal of this in the house.

Taking some steps in the right direction, the upstairs bathroom is making some progress. We are expanding the bathroom by moving a wall back about two feet. We removed the existing wall and all of the plaster on the walls and were able to frame up the new wall.

On another front, we framed in the new opening for the french doors between the living room and den. We also began work on the new closet doors in the master bedroom. A beam was also added in the basement last week to support some sagging floor joists - although Tara says that the sloping floors add to the character of the house. :)

In summary, lots of changes in one weekend. This we like!

Thanks to all who have helped so far, especially Scott C., Lyle T., Larry G., John E., and Dean C. for your help this past week/weekend.